Profile



I don’t want heavens or the shooting stars. I don’t want gemstones or gold. I want a steady hand, a kind soul. I want to fall asleep, and wake, knowing my heart is safe.
one
Music


please don't go away
Monday, June 29, 2009

Most athletes fatigue mentally before they fatigue physically, due to the fact that their mind is not in as good of shape as their bodies.

Do you feel like you’re in the “Zone” whenever you’re competing in a race? Read about it (The article I’m going to post below) and find out more.

For me personally, I am definitely in it whenever I’m competing. Even though I always appear nervous while waiting for my race but when I’m at the starting line, I am on autopilot and everything as mentioned below falls into place.

I love this sport because I enjoy the process, the satisfaction gained from it.

It’s normal to have upsides and downsides in this sport.

I have my fair share of downsides. Many might not see it but I do have my own struggles. I’ve peaked and dropped. Time and time again, I’ll overcome it and tell myself that I will work even harder than before. No excuses, full stop.

The question now is, “How are you going to handle your downsides?”

Are you going to whine all day and blame others about it or just reflect own your own performance & train even harder?

So this is the article I’m talking about just now:


Characteristic of being in the ‘Zone’

1. Relaxed

The days of getting psyched up to play are over. Research has shown over and over that the best performances occur when you are just slightly above your normal state of arousal, not at the extreme end of the spectrum as once thought. You are energized, yet relaxed it’s a subtle balance of quiet intensity. Your mind is calm and your body is ready to go. You feel relaxed, but you are able to move with great strength and ease.

2. Confident

Not letting a lapse in performance undermine your belief in your overall abilities is at the core of this characteristic. When you are playing well, you feel confident that no matter what you are up against, you are going to come out on top. There is no fear. Confidence on the inside is outwardly shown by way of your presence, your walk and your facial expressions. You should expect to be successful, not hope or wish to be successful. You must adopt a confident, winning attitude. By trusting your instincts and intuition to do the right thing at the right time; and if you are prepared, you can be confident that this will happen. This complete faith allows you to just know that you are going to do everything necessary to be successful without the conscious use of reasoning or analyzing

3. Completely Focused

You are totally absorbed in the moment. You have no memory of the past and no qualms about the future; you are here now. The only thing you are concentrating on is the task at hand. You are oblivious to everything else going on around you, consumed by the moment.
You have no real sense of time, and before you know it, the game is over. The game seems to have flown by; everything you do seems to happen at a slowed-down pace with great precision and concentration. Having the ability to stay in the moment is a gift that all of peak performers have.

4. Effortless

Things happen with little or no effort whatsoever. All your moves are smooth and for that time, running fast seems like the easiest thing in the world. You are in a state of mind and body where you can accomplish great things with little effort. Your mind and body are working in perfect unison. You have a sense of finesse and grace, even when the task is very grueling and demanding.

5. Automatic

There is no interference between your thoughts or emotions. Things are just happening, both without protest and without consent. You are on autopilot - just reacting to whatever comes your way. Your body just seems to know what to do without any directive from you. There is no conscious thought involved; you’re going strictly on your instincts. If you think less, you will achieve more.

6. Fun

When you’re in the flow, the enjoyment is incomparable to anything else. You feel like when you were a kid enjoying your sport with pure and innocent delight. Anyone can see in your eyes the satisfaction and fulfillment the sport gives you. You feel like your sport is giving you back something that you can’t get from anyone or anything else.

7. In Control

You feel that no matter what, you are in control. What you think and want to happen. You have ultimate command over your emotions as well - you are controlling them, not the other way around. When you are in control, you are in charge. You govern your own destiny. When you feel this strong of a command over your game, great things are sure to happen. The authority is yours, and no one else’s.

If you’re interested, you can click HERE to read more!

Okay, I hope all of you have learnt something today!

I’ll upload pictures from NCC & the team dinner soon! Stay tuned!

“ Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. ”
11:05 PM

ShoutOut



Questions?

Affiliates

Formspring Twitter Athl JiaLin ChiaLing XiaoXian Team NYP Canoe Alvin Evangeline Jocelyn Joyce Joanna JingTing JunHao Kelvin Kimberly Melissa Nathan Sherlyna Samantha Rainie JinHui WanXin Cheryl

blog hits



Archives

Layout by 16thday
Resources One Two Three